Today CFD tools allow investigating a large range of maritime flow problems. The methods and techniques currently available can provide both, comprehensive flow field information otherwise impossible to obtain and accurate force predictions.
HSVA has a long tradition of developing and applying flow codes for maritime applications, taking advantage of the unique situation which allows validating CFD results with experimental data routinely. This lead to a comprehensive range of services based on our own range of CFD tools.
CFD - Services
The versatility of CFD tools allows addressing a large range of typical maritime applications. Detailed information is given under the following links:
- Resistance & Power Prediction
- Hullform Optimisation
- Life-cycle / ship in service Predictions
- ESD Design and Optimisation
- Seakeeping Predictions
- Manoeuvring Predictions
CFD further allows addressing a large variety of the Special Problems. Please contact Jochen Marzi for more information.
HSVA develops and uses two main CFD tools:
- The Potential Flow Code: visit the ν-Shallo site for more information on early design hullform optimisation.
- The Viscous Flow Code: visit the FreSCo+ site for more information on detailed flow predictions according to model basin standards.
CFD is an area of constant research moving boundaries towards improved accuracy and versatility. The nature of numerical predictions allows integrating hydrodynamic analysis into design processes to a much larger degree than before. This forms the main focus of our CFD related research for the main topic areas Energy Efficiency, Safety and Comfort. An overview of HSVA’s research activities is provided at the Research Page.